Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolor sets are traditional Japanese pan watercolors made in Japan for artists and crafters. The paints are highly blendable with a creamy-smooth consistency. The pigmentation is rich and intense and the line is available in a range of 48 colors. Gansai Tambi paint sets are relatively affordable compared to professional watercolor sets. All colors are certified non-toxic.
Gansai is a specific type of traditional Japanese paint. In comparison to Western watercolors, gansai paints are:
- very pigmented and tend to be thicker and creamier
- different binders may be used such as animal hide glue
- they tend to be somewhat less transparent than Western or European watercolors but can be thinned with water to create more transparent washes
- unlike Western watercolors which dry matte, gansai paints have a sheen or gloss finish when dry
- gansai paints are presented in larger pans that are designed to accommodate sumi or lother arger brushes. The pans are filled halfway and are about equal to a Western full pan
- gansai easily dissolve in water and they also have nice blotting or color lifting properties
Portable 14 Color Set
Portable Set Color Chart
Kuretake Gansai Tambi Presentation
The following attractive sets come in green cardboard boxes with plastic pans that measure approximately 2″ × 1 (48mm x 28mm). Individual pans are labelled with a color code and the name of the color in Japanese.
12 Color Set
12 Color Set Color Chart
12 Color Set II
12 Color Set II Color Chart
Kuretake was founded in Nara, Japan in 1902 as a sumi ink manufacturer, and in 2022 will celebrate its 120th anniversary.
“Even now, at our headquarters in Nara, Japan we carry out all sequences of product creation from product planning and design, manufacturing, and quality control testing.”
Kuretake now offers quality artist tools for fine arts, illustration, graphic design, paper crafts, scrapbooking and signage.
18 Color Set
18 Color Set Color Chart
24 Color Set
24 Color Set Color Chart
36 Color Set
36 Color Set Color Chart
48 Color Set
48 Color Set Color Chart
There is no information on the Kuretake website regarding the exact pigments used nor any lightfastness ratings. For those reasons I wouldn’t recommend these as professional watercolors. Gansai Tambi are great for artists’ studies, for students, for sketching, journaling, illustration, card-making, and crafts.
Check out Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolors at: